Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Technology

To set the stage:  I don't exactly consider myself to be a "techie" person. When I was in Milwaukee in October, more than one high schooler asked me why I still have a flip phone. My laptop is a hand-me-down Dell. (though I dream of the day when I, too, can own a macbook!) My digital camera is 5 1/2 years old - ancient by today's standards. And my ipod. My ipod is 3 1/2 years old, 30 gig, has a giant line across the screen, some scratches - it's nothing fancy, but it lets me take my music with me.

So last week, I threw my first graders a Christmas party. No party is complete without music, so I brought my ipod and my speakers, which I bought at 5Below (aka they're cheap), to school. The following pictures and videos chronicle my kids' discovery of the ipod - a magical device that plays music that you can't hear without two other magical devices known as speakers.

Wander discovers the music comes from the speakers, not the ipod!
My FAVORITE!!  He used the speakers as headphones for a solid 10 minutes.
Monica and Nairoby take a turn - where IS the music coming from?
Monica and Wander share nicely.  Wander looks like an ipod pro.
And now, to top it all off, TWO videos (because I love you so much and am feeling patient with the internet)!
Alicia, then Nairoby, and finally even Wander, who has a speaker in his other ear, take turns discovering that you can't physically "listen" to the ipod.

Wander and Monica sing along to "Dame tus Ojos" by Marcela Gandara. They obviously don't know very many of the words... Wander discovers that pressing a button makes the ipod screen light up. He says to me, "Mira! Es yo que lo pone! ... Yo sabe!" And then returns to singing. He has no idea how many grammatical errors he has just made - none of my kids do.  This is a pretty good example of what I do all day:  a child tells me "Yo sabe!" and I reply, "Yo SE."  Wander should have said, "Mira! Soy yo que lo puse! Yo se!" But he didn't. So as I teach my kids to read, I am teaching them Spanish along the way... now that's a scary thought!

I hope you enjoyed my kids - they crack me up all the time!

1 comment:

  1. The kids are adorable; that must've been such a magical moment for them!

    ReplyDelete