Saturday, August 18, 2012

praise and prayer

I am officially 1/5 of the way done with grad school! Wow! Lots of reading, writing, thinking, and crying in the past two months, but I made it - praise God! Thank you for your prayers as I transition back into life in the US and into grad school.

Now I'm off to Colorado for a week of Debriefing and Renewal at MTI, the same place I did my pre-field training. (SPLICE - check my blog posts from August 2009 to read about that.) I am ready. Ready for rest, for help processing my time in the DR, for counsel on transitioning even though I know I'm going back, for being surrounded by people who understand exactly what I'm going through. SPLICE was such a sweet time, and I have high expectations for DAR!

I need your prayers always, but especially this week. I'm expecting encouragement and refreshment, but I'm also expecting hard emotional work, questions, and reflection. Here are some specific ways you can pray for me while I'm at DAR:

1. That God's truth would reign in my life, allowing me to recognize and reject any lies that I'm believing.
2. That I would be refreshed by my interactions with fellow missionaries and DAR staff, as well as alone time (reading a book for pleasure? yes please!)
3. That I would gain helpful insight about this strange lifestyle that is furlough - trying to plant myself firmly in America but knowing I'll be back in the DR in a year.

Here's a little info about DAR:


"DAR provides a safe and confidential place for you to reflect on the issues that have touched you deeply. It involves more than talking about your field experiences, although that’s the place it begins. Quality debriefing can lead to renewal. Going through this time of transition with other cross-cultural workers is vital. The insight gained from those with similar experiences provides both a sense of being understood as well as a fresh, objective perspective. The primary emphasis is on recognizing God’s hand in past events and anticipating the next step for which God is preparing you."

Finally, here are two photos from summer so far - I have enjoyed being able to spend more time with my family and reconnect with friends, and managed to squeeze a few fun weekends into my crazy class schedule!

1 comment:

  1. Don and Rhonda MillerAugust 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM

    Hi Emily, We are praying for you! Keep up the good work, get refreshed and keep training for that marathon!!

    ReplyDelete